Clinical study results demonstrate that the iSnare® system may be superior in the removal of large, flat polyps
Mentor, Ohio — May 7, 2015 — A recent study published in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, “Improving complete EMR of colorectal neoplasia: a randomized trial comparing snares and injectate in the resection of large sessile colon polyps”,* states that the integrated iSnare® system may be superior to a stand-alone snare for the removal of large, flat polyps. The US Endoscopy iSnare® system is a multi-functional device featuring a snare and needle to eliminate device exchanges.
This study was a prospective single center trial with a total of 140 patients with large (>15mm) sessile, colorectal polyps. The patients were enrolled in the study and randomized across two devices and two injectates with the following results:
- Resection was considered complete after EMR in 62% of the iSnare® system (US Endoscopy) group vs. 51% of the SnareMaster (Olympus) group.
- Procedure time was less with the iSnare® system group with the median of 6 vs. 11 minutes.
- Fewer resections were needed for polyps in the iSnare® system group with a Sydney Resection Quotient (SRQ)** of 13.8mm vs. 7.1mm for the SnareMaster group.
- There were no differences in the rates of adverse events. Further, upon follow-up, residual neoplasia was found at similar rates (22% with the iSnare® system and 21% with the SnareMaster).
- The lifting agents seemed to have no impact on the outcome.
About US Endoscopy
US Endoscopy, a subsidiary of STERIS Corporation, is a world leader in endoscopy device design and manufacturing, serving the U.S. and international gastrointestinal endoscopy markets. By listening and delivering solutions in the field of endoscopy, our unique lines of devices provide better, more enhanced product options for GI clinicians. A significant and growing portion of sales are from endoscopic devices created by the company's new product development team with the guidance and direction of luminary physicians and nurses worldwide. For more information, visit www.usendoscopy.com.
About STERIS Corporation
The mission of STERIS Corporation is to help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe. The Company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol STE. For more information, visit www.steris.com.
*Improving complete EMR of colorectal neoplasia: a randomized trial comparing snares and injectate in the resection of large sessile colon polyps. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. (2015: Volume 81, Number 3:673-681).
**SRQ: Lesion size in millimeters divided by the number of pieces to resect.
US Endoscopy press releases can be found in the News section of www.usendoscopy.com . To arrange interviews concerning US Endoscopy products and services, please Contact Us.